Scheduling Your CIH Exam
The Board for Global EHS Credentialing’s certification examinations are delivered at Prometric Test Centers located throughout the United States and internationally. The examinations are administered by appointment only, Monday through Saturday.
Your eligibility to take the examination is valid for two years from the last day of the month when your application was approved and will expire after that time. If you fail to schedule an appointment for this examination within the two-year period, you will forfeit the application and all fees paid to take the examination. A complete application and examination fee are required to reapply for the examination.
Scheduling Your Appointment
Your examination fee must be paid before you will be allowed to schedule your examination. You will not appear in Prometric’s computer file of approved examinees until you have paid your examination fee. When your fee has been processed, you will receive an Authorization to Test (ATT) letter.
To ensure that you obtain your preferred location and date, you should call Prometric immediately or go online to schedule an appointment. You must schedule your exam at least 9 calendar days prior to the end of the testing window to be able to sit for the exam.
You will need to provide the following information when scheduling your appointment:
- Your name
- Your identification number (listed in the Authorization to Test letter)
- A daytime telephone number
- The name of the examination sponsor (BGC) and the examination you are taking (CIH)
We recommend that you schedule your appointment online because it is faster and more efficient. You must have an email address to schedule.
If you schedule online, you will receive an email confirmation of your appointment.
If you are scheduling by phone in North America, call Prometric’s Customer Service Contact Center (CSCC) at (800) 800-1123. Operators are available from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Please note that you will not receive written notification concerning your appointment if you schedule via telephone. If you are an international examinee, please check the Prometric website for the country-specific telephone numbers.
When you schedule your appointment, either by telephone or online, you will receive a confirmation number. Make sure you keep a record of your confirmation number and appointment information. You will need your confirmation number if you want to confirm, reschedule, or cancel your appointment. BGC will not have your confirmation number in our records.
Test Site Location
You may take your examination at Prometric Testing Centers (PTC) in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Samoa, the Virgin Islands, and internationally.
Determine the best PTC location for taking your examination by selecting Locate a Test Center on Prometric’s website www.prometric.com.
- When scheduling your appointment, you should confirm the address of your test center and obtain directions.
- You may obtain directions to the PTC at Prometric’s website or by calling Prometric’s Customer Service Contact Center.
You must test during the window for which you were approved.
- The spring testing window opens on April 1 and closes on May 31.
- The fall testing window opens October 1 and closes on November 30.
Confirming Your Appointment
It is your responsibility to verify that you have been scheduled for the date, time, and place you have requested.
You may confirm your appointment in two ways.
- Call (800) 800-1123 or the applicable international number and select the option for confirming your appointment.
- Confirm your appointment online at prometric.com.
You can confirm your appointment online even if you scheduled your appointment by telephone.
Special Arrangements for Candidates with Disabilities
Prometric and the Board for Global EHS Credentialing comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act and strive to ensure that no individual with a disability (as defined by the ADA as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such an impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment) is deprived of the opportunity to take the examination solely by reason of that disability. Prometric will provide reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities. Candidates requesting special accommodations must call Prometric at 800-967-1139 to schedule their examination.
- Wheelchair access is available at all established Test Centers. Candidates must advise Prometric at the time of scheduling that wheelchair access is necessary.
- Candidates with visual, sensory, physical, or learning disabilities that would prevent them from taking the examination under standard conditions may request special accommodations and arrangements.
- A full list of the services and accommodations Prometric provides can be accessed by reading their Testing Accommodations website information.
Verification of the disability and a statement of the specific type of assistance needed MUST BE MADE IN WRITING TO the Board for Global EHS Credentialing by completing the Test Accommodation Request Form. This form is due by the application deadline. BGC will review the submitted forms, consult with the vendor, and contact you regarding the decision for accommodations.
You will forfeit the examination registration and all fees paid under the following circumstances:
- You wish to reschedule an examination but fail to contact Prometric at least two business days prior to the scheduled testing session
- You wish to reschedule a second time
- You appear more than 15 minutes late for an examination
- You fail to report for an examination appointment
A completed application form and examination fee are required to reapply for examination.
Inclement Weather/Power Failure/Other Emergency
In the event of inclement weather or unforeseen emergencies on the day of an examination, Prometric will determine whether circumstances warrant the cancellation, and subsequent rescheduling, of an examination. The examination will usually not be rescheduled if the Test Center personnel are able to open the Test Center.
You may visit https://live-prometric.pantheonsite.io/closures prior to the examination to determine if Prometric has been advised that any Test Centers are closed. Every attempt is made to administer the examination as scheduled; however, should an examination be canceled at a Test Center, all scheduled candidates will receive notification following the examination regarding rescheduling or reapplication procedures.
If the power to a Test Center is temporarily interrupted during an administration, your examination will be restarted. The responses provided up to the point of interruption will be intact.
Cancellation and Rescheduling of Exams
If you need to cancel, delay, or change your examination location, you must do so at least 48 hours in advance of your scheduled exam. You may cancel or reschedule by calling (800) 800-1123 or the applicable international number. You will need to provide your confirmation number.
If you miss your examination appointment, you will not be rescheduled, and you will forfeit the testing fees.
If you are late for your examination appointment, you may not be admitted. Late admission is at the discretion of the Prometric testing center.
If you decide to delay your examination to a future examination window, please consult your Authorization to Test (ATT) letter for reapplication details.
Problems with Prometric Scheduling and Testing
You should call the BGC office at (517) 853-5763 (between 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday, U.S. Eastern Time) if you encounter either of the following problems:
- You cannot schedule an exam because the Prometric operator does not have a file with your name and identification number.
- You arrive at your scheduled examination appointment but are unable to test due to Prometric technical or personnel issues.